Visitor Engagement Volunteer (On Reserves) (Visitor Engagement Assistant, Newport Wetlands)
The RSPB manages a big network of nature reserves which are havens for wildlife, and importantly very special places for people of all ages and abilities to visit and experience a nature rich landscape.
Nature is in trouble, there aren't many places left where wildlife can thrive, that is why we want to welcome more people to these places.
We are looking for volunteers who can help with all our visitor engagement activities, from welcoming people on arrival, to leading events and activities. Our events and activities are aimed at all age ranges from toddlers to families, new to nature and those who are already nature lovers.
As a Visitor Engagement Volunteer the tasks you will undertake will depend on which reserve you're working on, but will include some of the following:
- Providing a friendly welcome to visitors when they arrive and making them aware of parking/entry requirements.
- Having conversations with visitors and finding out how you can help them enjoy their visit, whether that's pointing out where the café is or where they can see wildlife.
- Helping deliver events and activities, including setting up and clearing away afterwards.
- Talking to the public about the work of the RSPB, what we're all about and asking them if they would like to become members if the conversation takes you there.
- Ensuring the welcome area is clean and tidy, leaflets are replenished, and information boards are up to date.
Full training and support will be provide for this role but you do need to be a ‘people person’ and have good communication skills.
This is a really rewarding and enjoyable role. You will be working with a friendly team on a beautiful nature reserve, you will have the opportunity to make new friends and spend time outdoors. You will get to meet loads of new people in this role, enjoying conversation and helping people have a wonderful visit.
There is always the opportunity to learn new things and gain skills through volunteering, by working on a reserve, you'll naturally learn all about how nature reserves are managed and the wildlife that is found there.
This role is suitable for under 18’s.