Event Helper ((Dungeness))
Do you enjoy meeting people and being part of events? We run a wide range of events and are looking for enthusiastic volunteers who can help the coordination, set up and clearing away. This role is suitable for under 18’s and offers the opportunity to meet new people and gain new skills.
RSPB Dungeness is the RSPB’s oldest nature reserve, thriving with nature and history. The unique shingle landscape has been forming for thousands of years and is home to a whole host of wildlife, including five of the six rarest bumblebee species, a third of the UK’s wildflower species and a whole host of other invertebrates, fungi, lichen and of course birds.
We are visited by approximately 25,000 visitors each year, ranging from experienced birders to those adventuring to an RSPB reserve for their very first time. Our diversity of visitors is fantastic, and reflects the amazing diversity in our wildlife too!
The RSPB organises and attends a range of events from small farmers markets to national shows. Inspiring people about the natural world is one of the most important things we do. We want to engage as many people as possible about the work of the RSPB, how amazing nature is and how we need to work together to save it.
As an Events Volunteer you will helping out in a range of ways, this will depend on which events you're working on, but will include some of the following:
- Providing a friendly welcome to visitors and members of the public.
- Having conversations with visitors and members of the public, and finding out how you can help them.
- Talking to the public about the work of the RSPB, what we're all about and asking them if they would like to become members if the conversation takes you there.
- Ensuring the event stand is clean and tidy, leaflets are replenished and information boards are up to date.
- Helping deliver events ‘on stand’ activities, such as nest box building, children's educational activities.
- Event planning and coordination - including setting up and clearing away afterwards.
- Participating in event reviews and providing constructive feedback.
For this role most important skill required will be your people skills. We aren't looking for wildlife expertise of knowledge of the RSPB. We are looking for someone who enjoys meeting new people and is a confident communicator. It will help if you have a good attention to detail and are quite organised to help ensure events and activities are carried out safely.
This is a rewarding role which offers the opportunity to attend a wide range of events and to work alongside a friendly team. You will have the opportunity to make new friends and spend time outdoors. You will get to meet loads of new people in this role, enjoying conversation and helping people have a great interaction with the RSPB. There is always the opportunity to learn new things and gain skills through volunteering, by working on a reserve, you'll naturally learn all about the work of the RSPB and how we manage the wildlife on our reserves, work in partnership with others and advocate to governments.